I have dabbled in the past with less social media and tv, every time I have I found benefit in it. I found myself not only feeling better in my general well-being but also looking forward to doing those things more.
So in my latest continued attempt to improve my mental well-being I have concocted another experiment. Monday-Thursday I won’t be allowed any social media, news or tv. (Unless going to cinema to socialise with other people).
I know I am going to find it really hard at first. I suspect I am a little addicted to some of these things, and if not addicted the habits are very well ingrained.
So in an attempt to help me achieve my goal I am listing now all the things I can do in those moments of down time or in the hours the girls have gone to bed….
- Hobbies (Archery, Yoga, Embroidery).
- Read a book.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Write (A poem, a blog, my book, an article).
- Create (A talk, An idea).
- Exercise (Walk, Pilates, Weights for ten minutes).
- Create social content (no consumption).
- Clear out emails.
- Get on top of bills.
- Update my name on everything!
- Research something you are interested in (foster care statistics, parenting, psychology, archery).
- Do some extra work (the work you never get time for during the 9-5).
- Bake (max once a week, we had a period when I was on Matt leave and I baked every day. Both of us put on two stone).
- Music Music Music.
- Try playing the piano for five minutes.
- Clear out a cupboard.
What do you do in your down time? Always welcome other suggestions of
I will let you know how I get on.